Sunday, April 7, 2013

Victoria's Secret



Somewhere out there, there’s a long distance motorcycle rider named Vicky and I’m sure this is her secret.  It’s mine too. 
 
In my early years, I experimented with a fair number of undergarment options.  It didn’t take long to realize that the cotton stuff you wear at work just didn’t work well.   In hot weather it does nothing to keep you dry and it wasn’t any better in the cold.  Plus, the leg cuffs in a brief style short cuts into your nether-regions faster than you burn through single tank of fuel.  This was a no-go.  Next came my bicycle short phase.  This was better.  Seat comfort improved, but I still didn’t have a torso option figured out.  When sweaty, my bare skin stuck to the liner of the Aerostich suit like chewing gum on a shoe sole.  Again, there was significant room for improvement.  Under Armour came next.  This is what I wore during the 2007 Iron Butt Rally.  If I recall correctly, the couple of pair I own are part of the Heat Gear line.  They’re single layer garment that did a good job of preventing the binding of wet skin against suit lining and they helped in keeping me cooler and my skin a bit drier.  I’d probably still be using this today if it weren’t for all the glowing testimonials of LD Comfort gear from riders in the know.  Since trying Mario’s wonderful product the Under Armour hasn’t left the dresser drawer.

I’ll spare you my pathetic attempt at describing LD Comfort to you.  Mario has a series of videos and written description that does a much better job than I ever could.  Point your browser here to find out more.  I will share one lesser known secret, though.  In extreme heat, LD Comfort does a fair imitation of an evaporative cooling vest.  Soak the garment in water and ring it out.  Put the garment on and zip all of your riding suit vents closed.  Then just ride in cool comfort for a few hours.  I carry a one-gallon Ziplock bag on the bike expressly for this purpose.

No comments: