Sunday, February 27, 2011

Double Vision


For the last several years I've run two GPS units on Moose. I picked up a Garmin zumo 550 when it was first released and it's my primary navigation tool. A Garmin V also resides on the shelf primarily because it has the best Trip Computer page in the business. During the Run What Ya Brung rally in 2008, the zumo began shutting down intermittently, leading me to believe I might have to finish the rally the old fashion way; with a paper map. Since zumo also provides XM radio and cell phone communications, having it fail mid-rally is a significant event. Having a backup is prudent.

This year a 2820 is replacing the Garmin V. It has all the same capabilities as zumo (navigation, mp3 player, XM ready and bluetooth) in a different form-factor with some enhanced navigational features. And while the Trip Computer page isn't quite as complete as that of the V, it's a compromise I'm making to remain competitive.

A side note about safety and distracted driving. Some question the ability to monitor all this electronic equipment and still pay attention to what's happening on the road. So far I have to say having two GPS on the dash might actually be safer than one. With the 2820 set on the Trip Computer page, I'm actually operating the GPS less, scrolling through less pages than with one GPS.

No comments: