Saturday, April 6, 2013

Double vision







I discovered I needed glasses at the age of 17.  Every time I had my buddies in the car and I’d pull out to make a pass on a slower moving vehicle, they’d start screaming like they were gonna die.  Turns out I couldn’t see well; on-coming vehicles didn’t come into focus until they were a little too close for comfort.  I’ve used contact lens for most of my adult life to correct my distance vision, but as most of us on the north side of 40, in recent years I’ve needed correction for anything closer than an arm’s length to the ole eyeballs. Now I needed double vision correction.

Not wanting to go back to glasses and do the bi-focal thing, I started looking for options that would allow me to continue to wear contacts.  Radian Cheaters to the rescue.  Cheaters are safety glasses with a small magnification diopter molded into the plastic lens.  They allow me to see close for reading and viewing GPS screens and provide a good level of eye protection for those times I have my Multitec chin bar open.  Radian offers a variety of magnification strengths as well as a tinted lens version that serves as my sunglasses.  I’ve used these for years and are on my list of ‘must have’ equipment for motorcycle riding.  There will be a couple spares on the bike during the IBR: I don’t know how I’d compete without them.



No comments: