Friday, April 19, 2013

Phone Hack




I’m not the handiest guy in the world, more of a hack, which is why I prefer my motorcycle modifications to be off-the-shelf whenever possible.  Unfortunately, my recent experience adding an iPhone to my rally resources is more typical than not.

  • I  want a smart phone
  • Brother Daryl has an iPhone with Lifeproof case he really likes
  • Lifeproof has a slick GoPro mount system that I really like
  • By the time I get around to purchasing the phone and case, Lifeproof doesn’t offer the GoPro mount any longer
  • The Lifeproof handlebar mount won’t fit the FJR because I don’t have tubular handle bars
  • RAM doesn’t make a dedicated mount for Lifeproof cases
  • I don’t like or trust the non-locking, universal mount from RAM
  • I buy the Lifeproof locking belt clip and hack it up with a RAM ball mount


Actually, things went better that I expected.  I think I'll have a secure mount when all is said and done.  I haven’t decided where the iPhone is going to be mounted.  I'm strongly considering putting it in between the handle bars as dash space is getting slim.   More to follow.

2 comments:

Erik L. said...

I can't say enough good things about the ram finger grip mount for mounting an iPhone. I've got one on my FJR and have taken it offroad with no significant movement.

http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/FingerGripMount/tabid/1872/

Kirk said...

I came here via the FJR forum, and read this blog page. I just bought a SlipGrip mount for my phone and I see they have one with the case you are using.

You don't specify which iPhone model, but this page should point you in the right direction: http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/search.asp?keyword=lifeproof&search.x=0&search.y=0

Good luck in the Big Dance

Kirk